Facility type: DIGILAB
Access provider: Centre for Cultural Informatics (CCI), ICS, FORTH
Title: Services on Terminology Information Systems
The Centre for Cultural Informatics (CCI) brings together skills in knowledge representation, ontology engineering, knowledge organisation systems, database technology and web technology with expertise in archaeology, museum documentation and management, sites and monuments management, art conservation, archives and libraries, thesaurus and dictionary management and other cultural disciplines. The activities of the centre unfold in three directions: 1)Targeted research with focus on the formal representation of information structure and scientific discourse in the humanities, supported communication and in the semantic interoperability; 2) Community building for the promotion of standards, complementary skills and know-how in the creation, processing, integration and presentation of cultural information for the benefit of quality, accessibility and exploitation of digital cultural content; and 3) Targeted development of advanced information systems that provide a scientific challenge or a proof -of -concept in real settings. The expertise of CCI comprises:
- CIDOC CRM, a core ontology for the semantic integration of heterogeneous data structures.
- Coherent extensions of CIDOC CRM, by collaboration with key-stakeholders of other communities with an interest in e-science information integration in biodiversity, geology and archaeology (analytical methods, remote sensing data, excavation records).
- The X3ML Toolkit, a set of small, open source, microservices that follow the SYNERGY Reference Model – for a better practice of data provisioning and aggregation processes – and assist the data provisioning process for information integration.
- Various access methods over RDF datasets (starting from tools for assistive query building, to keyword search services, e.g. https://demos.isl.ics.forth.gr/elas4rdf/, RDF Visualiser)
- Terminology Information Systems
- Monument and museum information systems
The services offered are:
- Services on Terminology Information Systems
- Consulting on building/using thesauri. Extensive experience with Backbone Thesaurus BBT (BackBone Thesaurus), an overarching thesaurus for the humanities and its related communication system BBTalk (Backbone Thesaurus Management and Connection tool), the BBT Federated Thesaurus of use to humanities scholars and the HUMANITIES Thesaurus.
- Tool deployment.
- THEMAS: an open source Web based system for creating, managing and administering multi-faceted multilingual thesauri according to the principles of ISO 25964-1 and ISO 25964-2 standards.
- VisTA: Visual Terminology Alignment tool for factual knowledge aggregation. A target-driven approach for the integration of RDF/SKOS-like terminologies.
- Axaridou, A., Konsolaki, K., Theodoridou, M., Kozlov, A., Haase, P., & Doerr, M. (2018). VisTA: Visual Terminology Alignment Tool for Factual Knowledge Aggregation. Third International Workshop on Semantic Web for Cultural Heritage (SW4CH 2018). In Conjunction with 15th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2018).
- Doerr, M. (1998). Effective Terminology Support for Distributed Digital Collections. in: SIXTH DELOS WORKSHOP, Preservation of Digital Information, Tomar, Portugal, 17-19 June. (pdf).
- Information Systems Laboratory http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl/