Facility type: DIGILAB
Access provider: Centre for Cultural Informatics (CCI), ICS, FORTH
Title: Services on advanced information systems for cultural and scientific data
The Centre for Cultural Informatics (CCI) brings together skills in knowledge representation, ontology engineering, knowledge organisation systems, database technology and web technology with expertise in archaeology, museum documentation and management, sites and monuments management, art conservation, archives and libraries, thesaurus and dictionary management and other cultural disciplines. The activities of the centre unfold in three directions: 1) Targeted research with focus on the formal representation of information structure and scientific discourse in the humanities, supported communication and in the semantic interoperability; 2) Community building for the promotion of standards, complementary skills and know-how in the creation, processing, integration and presentation of cultural information for the benefit of quality, accessibility and exploitation of digital cultural content; and 3) Targeted development of advanced information systems that provide a scientific challenge or a proof -of -concept in real settings. The expertise of CCI comprises:
- CIDOC CRM, a core ontology for the semantic integration of heterogeneous data structures.
- Coherent extensions of CIDOC CRM, by collaboration with key-stakeholders of other communities with an interest in e-science information integration in biodiversity, geology and archaeology (analytical methods, remote sensing data, excavation records).
- The X3ML Toolkit, a set of small, open source, microservices that follow the SYNERGY Reference Model – for a better practice of data provisioning and aggregation processes – and assist the data provisioning process for information integration.
- Various access methods over RDF datasets (starting from tools for assistive query building, to keyword search services, e.g. https://demos.isl.ics.forth.gr/elas4rdf/, RDF Visualiser)
- Terminology Information Systems
- Monument and museum information systems
The services offered are:
- Services on advanced information systems for cultural and scientific data
- Consulting on design and implementation of advanced information systems for the management of scientific, cultural and historical information.
- Tool deployment.
- Synthesis: A comprehensive information system for scientific and administrative documentation of cultural assets.
- FastCat: An innovative tool designed for historians and other researchers who need to manually digitize structured and semi structured historical documents in a fast and accurate way in order to create their research dataset.
- DIATHESIS: An information system for documentation, management and promotion of historical documents that supports both digital library functionality and archival management of the original documents.
- Bekiari, Ch., Doerr, M., Angelakis, D., & Karagianni, F. (2015). Building Comprehensive Management Systems for Cultural – Historical Information. CAA2014 21st Century Archaeology Concepts, methods and tools. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Conference on Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology, Rethymno, Crete, Greece, Friday 7th – Saturday 8th March 2014 (pp. 227-234). Archaeopress, Oxford.
- Bekiari, Ch., Charami, L., Doerr, M., Georgis, Ch., & Kritsotaki, A. (2008). Documenting Cultural Heritage in Small Museums. in Proceedings of the Annual Conference of CIDOC, Athens, Greece, September 15 -18, 2008.
- Bekiari, Ch., Constantopoulos, P., & Doerr, M. (2005). Information design for cultural documentation. In Proceedings of the 9th DELOS Network of Excellence thematic workshop: Digital Repositories: Interoperability and Common Services, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, 11-13 May.
- Information Systems Laboratory http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl/
- CIDOC-CRM http://www.cidoc-crm.org/